I was really hoping to do an update post saying that despite the rough start, Taylor is now fully adjusted to Kindergarten.
It’s just not happening.
Things are going so poorly, in fact, that we are going to try moving her back to her old school.
Ironically, when we were considering Taylor’s kindergarten options, we were told that she could stay at that school. Then we were told she had to go to the school in our community.
No problem there, because the school system and their autism program are wonderful.
But, unfortunately, all the changes (read: new school, new people, new schedule) are proving to be more than she can handle.
Now, here we are, more than halfway through the school year, and now we are looking at sending her back.
This time around we’re going about it slowly. She is going to visit her potential new classroom every Thursday (in the afternoon, she’s already in that building in the morning for swim and gym) for the month of March.
I am a bit apprehensive, though.
This apprehension is not something I’m holding back, I’ve fully voiced it with her teachers and therapists.
I’m all for Taylor going back to her old school, if she adjusts well. But the thing is, this is the last school year that that school will be open. Another school is being built to replace this school. It opens this fall.
So, come September, she would be starting in another new building. Same people/teachers, but new building.
Therein lies my apprehension.
We already dumped her in one new building, with new people and we know how badly that turned out.
I just don’t want to move her, only to move her again and have her really shut down.
Sometimes I feel that I am so totally not cut out for this.
That’s when I step back, take a deep breath, and think to myself “Everything happens for a reason.”
I just wish I knew what the reason was.